- Mount the unit to a solid surface (tree or fence post) with the screws provided.
- Adjust unit so that on fully closed there is a 10 – 12 mm gap on the bottom of the guillotine(this will already be adjusted) this will suit most birds from chicken up wards
- Place the bird in from the left side so that head is on the right hand side of the unit.
- Hold bird by the legs
- Firmly and quickly push handle down until it hits the adjustable stop.
- Hold it there until bird has stopped moving.
This will break the neck very quickly and humanely. The bird will move around a little, this is totally normal as it is the “Fight or Flight Reflex” and it will settle down.
Breaking the neck will cause instant death with no suffering.
I suggest you wear gloves while doing this as the birds wings often have sharp pin feathers that can scratch while they are moving around.
If you find there is breaking of the skin and maybe a little blood, you can adjust the guillotine when closed to a larger gap.
If you plan on dressing the bird for consumption, hang bird as soon as possible by legs.
This will drain the blood into the head and neck cavity.
If you only have a few birds to process, do them as soon as possible as you will find the feathers remove very easily.
If you leave then to cool you will be required to scald them in water to aid feather removal.
We find a water temperature of 75c is ideal holding the bird in the water for 45 to 60 seconds.
Is a simple process of remove all the internals, head, feet and trimming to your requirements.
The lungs are the hardest thing to get out, but they must be removed to stop contamination of meat.
Rinse with clean water and check to make sure all internals have been removed.
If you have any question or comments, Please contact us